After reading about the ladies at the Mighty Summit, I finally decided, by golly, I'm going to have a Life List. I'm a sucker for all kinds of hope, and what better embodiment than an actual list of things I hope to do in my lifetime?
This, my original list, is filled with mostly tangible things. I fully intend to write another list comprised of Big Ideas: change someone's life, make the world a better place, promote peace, be content.
I started this list in my head a few days ago. I came up with a few "ooh, yeah!" ideas. I sat down to write them today, thinking I'd come up with a dozen or so To-Do's, and ended up with almost eighty. Some of the items have been hidden in my heart for years, some occurred to me only seconds before I typed them out, all of them hold some kind of truth about myself. There is nothing here so wild as swinging on a trapeze in Thailand. There is no "step foot on all seven continents." I wanted to have a list of things that I truly want to do. Things that maybe, possibly, hopefully, I could achieve. I could easily write another eighty things that I want for my children, for my family, but I wanted this initial list to be just for me.
So. Here 'tis.
My Life List
1. Capture my husband’s true smile in a photograph
2. Spend a week at Disney world with my family
3. Spend a week in NYC with my husband
4. Spend a week in Montreat, NC by myself
5. Spend a week road tripping to east Tennessee with my brother
6. Publish a novel
7. Publish a children’s book
8. Treat myself to a once-a-month professional massage
9. Own a ridiculous pair of stilettos
11. Harmonize with Jason Mraz
12. Meet Snoop D-O-double-G
13. Talk about life, man with Ryan Adams
14. Tour a secret part of the Smithsonian
15. Own a Jaguar (the car, not the cat)
16. Read 100 books aloud to my kids
17. Read 100 classic novels
18. Watch all of AFI’s top 100 movies
19. Relearn to play the trumpet
21. Dance on the beach to Bob Marley music
22. Watch a John Mayer concert from backstage without making a fool of myself (ok, maybe making a fool of myself)
23. Help build 50 Habitat for Humanity houses
24. Buy an Ark from Heifer International
25. Coach my best friend through labor and delivery
26. Graduate from college
27. Watch my children graduate from college
28. Tour the Holy Land
29. Convince my brother to record an album
30. Adopt a child
31. Work for CASA
32. Trace my family’s genealogy as far back as possible
33. Drink a pint in a pub. In Ireland.
34. Drink a cappuccino in a café. In Paris.
35. Drink a bottle of wine in a piazza. In Tuscany.
37. Walk across Abbey Road
38. Handwrite a long thank you note to my mother
39. Play croquet on the White House lawn
40. Finish learning to play guitar (aside from the first three chords of “Freefallin’”)
41. Attend mass in Vatican City
42. Buy my husband a just-for-fun Jeep
43. Pay a disgusting amount of money for an original piece of artwork
44. Convince a woman to rethink abortion
45. Make the preflight announcements on a flight to Hawaii
46. Fly to Hawaii
47. Make regular mission trips to Guatemala and Nicaragua
48. Build a house in the country
50. Donate a thousand books to a rural school library
51. Memorize an e.e. cummings poem
52. Renew my wedding vows on our 25th anniversary, and then again on our 50th
53. Bake a perfect batch of my grandmother’s cookies
54. Grow enough vegetables to feed my family for a summer
55. Be able to speak fluent sign language
57. Learn to fight well, without fighting dirty
58. Fight for someone who can’t fight on their own
59. Laugh inappropriately loud at the most inappropriate time
60. Watch every Friends episode in order
61. Spend one Thanksgiving in Hyannis Port
62. Karaoke “Summer Lovin’” with my husband
63. Anonymously pay for someone’s drive-thru coffee
65. Whisper a secret to my daughters right before their daddy gives them away
66. Wear a funny hat at the Kentucky Derby
67. Attend a conference on my own
68. Read every word of the Bible
69. Stand where Jimi stood at Woodstock
70. Initiate a no-holds-barred food fight
71. Write a check, buy a home for someone I love
72. Gallop a horse on the beach
73. Make dinner from scratch for my family for seven consecutive nights
74. Stumble into a really good concert in Austin
75. Wear one fabulous red dress, with confidence
76. Wear fabulous red lipstick, with confidence
77. Learn to be myself, with confidence
78. Add one to-do each time I cross one off
So, what's on your Life List?
Tell me one thing, then go post your own.
It's good for you.