I spent the last couple of days of 2010 laid up in bed, battling a major fever. Fun, yes? In any case, it afforded me lots of
So I rehashed. I edited the original Life List (because, really, is it my dream-above-all-dreams to meet Snoop Dogg?) to be more streamlined. Not necessarily more realistic (a dream is a dream is a dream), but more attainable, more workable.
I want to spend 2011 working toward goals, instead of just working. I want to use my time to better myself, better serve my family, better entertain my friends, and better know the Lord.
Did I just give myself a buzzword? Is better my key word for this new year?
I kind of like it.
It is not seeking perfection, it is not "best."
It merely seeks to step up. Step up my game, step up my happy.
Better is contentment where I am, while constantly trying to make the world around me, well, better.
This will be the year of working towards better. This will be the year I start crossing the immediate things off my list, and dedicate myself to the long-term goals (um, #41, anyone?).
2010 was a really good year. 2011 will be better.
- Capture my husband's true smile in a photograph
- Spend a week at Disney world with my family
- Spend a week in NYC with my husband
- Spend a week in Montreat, NC by myself
- Spend a week road tripping to east Tennessee with my brother
Start writing a novel
- Finish writing a novel-- I'll do it this year, I swear!
- Publish a novel
- Publish a children’s book
- Own a ridiculous pair of stilettos
Bet on George Strait’s racehorse
- Tour a secret part of the Smithsonian
- Read 100 books aloud to my kids-- We're working on it. List to come.
- Read 100 classic novels
- Watch all of AFI’s top 100 movies
Dance at a Dave Matthews concert
- Help build 50 Habitat for Humanity houses
- Buy an Ark from Heifer International-- I started with some bees.
- Coach my best friend through labor and delivery
- Graduate from college
- Watch my children graduate from college
- Tour the Holy Land
- Convince my brother to record an album
- Adopt a child
- Work for CASA
- Trace my family’s genealogy as far back as possible
- Drink a pint in a pub. In Ireland.
- Drink a cappuccino in a café. In Paris.
- Drink a bottle of wine in a piazza. In Tuscany.
Drink a shot of tequila on a beach. In Mexico.
- Walk across Abbey Road
- Handwrite a long thank you note to my mother
- Buy my husband a just-for-fun Jeep
- Pay a disgusting amount of money for an original piece of artwork
- Convince a woman to rethink abortion
- Make regular mission trips to Guatemala and Nicaragua
- Build a house in the country
Give away a car
- Donate a thousand books to a rural school library
- Memorize an e.e. cummings poem
- Renew my wedding vows on our 25th anniversary, and then again on our 50th
- Bake a perfect batch of my grandmother’s cookies
- Grow enough vegetables to feed my family for a summer
- Be able to speak fluent sign language
Join a book club
- Learn to fight well, without fighting dirty
- Fight for someone who can’t fight on their own
- Laugh inappropriately loud at the most inappropriate time
- Watch every Friends episode in order-- Season one, in the books!
- Karaoke “Summer Lovin’” with my husband
- Anonymously pay for someone’s drive-thru coffee
Dance in the rain without an umbrella
- Whisper a secret to my daughters right before their daddy gives them away
- Wear a funny hat at the Kentucky Derby
- Attend a conference on my own-- April 2011!
- Read every word of the Bible- with help
- Stand where Jimi stood at Woodstock
- Initiate a no-holds-barred food fight
- Write a check, buy a home for someone I love
- Gallop a horse on the beach
- Make dinner from scratch for my family for seven consecutive nights
Stumble into a really good concert in AustinThat's a whole 'nother blog post!
- Wear one fabulous red dress, with confidence
- Wear fabulous red lipstick, with confidence
- Learn to be myself, with confidence
- Launch a new blog with my friends
- Add one to-do each time I cross one off
Y'all see number 66 up there? It'l be crossed off by this time next week!!
Happy 2011, friends!